Click here
Click above to view our
Mutual Exchange Leaflet

Mutual Exchanges

This is a way of swapping your home with another V2C tenant or a tenant of another housing association or council who also wants to move. They might live in another part of the county borough or another local authority area.

Finding a tenant to swap with
V2C tenants can search for a suitable swap by registering online at The service, which is free to V2C tenants, allows you to advertise your home and automatically finds matches and alerts you by e mail or text message.

What to do if you find someone interested in swapping with you

If you find a tenant who you wish to swap with contact our Customer Service Centre who will explain the conditions you must meet and what happens next.

Please note that you cannot exchange your home without our permission in writing.

All full assured tenants of V2C (not starter tenants) have the right to apply for a mutual exchange.

  1. You need V2C’s permission in writing. We will normally give permission if your tenancy has been satisfactory.

Under the Housing Act 1985, the landlord can only refuse an exchange for 10 specific reasons.

For example, they may refuse permission if the property has been built or adapted for people with special needs, if a notice seeking possession has been served on either person or if either person has rent arrears. You may have to meet certain conditions before an exchange will be allowed, such as paying any outstanding rent you owe.